Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Day 59: Vidette Meadow - Glen Pass - Woods Creek (mi 786-802)























Miles dragged today. We encountered lots of cobble, which beat up my feet. I am glad that the Brooks Cascadia shoes are coming to Mammoth, however I wish I had them now. We have two passes tomorrow, according to our plan. Contrary to the guidebooks Glen pass was not scary. That said, we weren't dealing with it in a high snow year. We encountered calico rocks of every size category between sand and boulder/slab. After descending from the pass, we were in the Rae lakes basin. The lakes were beautiful and filled with the most, and the dumbest,brook trout I have ever seen. Sadly I was without fishing tackle! I resolved O get a rod & reel in Mammoth - it would be great sport, and a great protein supplement! I started salivating just thinking of fresh fish... Very hot & muggy, and as a result very buggy, in Rae lakes basin. I wanted to swim but the icebergs in the other end discouraged me. Lots of mosquitoes too. Got sun-addled after lunch and proceeded to get destroyed by the long downhill to the Woods Creek suspension bridge. Beautiful and lush, with cascading water on all sides. Stark stone citadels on either side of the valley stood guard as we stumbled down the rocky trail. Some were decomposing pyramids, others fins of rock. We crossed a suspension bridge (very fun) then climbed past the 800 mark up Woods Creek to camp. We pitched in the dark, at 9,900 feet elevation, which had the fringe benefit of discouraging the evening mosquitoes. Per Viking an King Street's recommendation, I prepared ramen mit erbswurst (which nobody outside of Germany had ever hear of) for dinner. Tired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment