Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Day 14: Combs Ridge to Tule Spring (mi 129-144)



More snoozing in the AM was followed by a long downhill slog dropping approx 3500 feet, with our quarry (Mt. San Jacinto) Visible to the north.



Erin saw a snake while I was fiddling with my new pack so that I could film such things. Go figure. My new pack is fitting well and carries a load nicely, but may be pinching a nerve somewhere. I noticed numb outer thighs and a sharp burn in my lower back ensues after 3-4 miles. More adjustments may be necessary. Nothing exciting in terms of bird life today. I observed Fewer common side blotched lizards, and more whiptails. Climate decidedly more desert-like than Warner Springs - dominated by cacti, Joshua trees, and chaparral regulars. We tanked up at a spring and set out to find some shade. The heat became too much for Erin to bear about 1.5 mi past the spring we stopped at mid-morning.Thankfully we found a superb alcove beneath a lone, stunted pine next to a large boulder to while away the afternoon. We watched AD, and hit the trail again after 4. It is impressive how much the conditions affect Erin's demeanor. We hiked on another 5 miles to a well-stocked water cache, met Grady (the guy who arranged the map printing in Portland),  and checked the register. 

Beautiful water caches!
Erin found a gopher snake on the trail a couple miles south of the cache. I moved it gently, and Erin scooted past.
 
Having not attended kickoff, Erin saw in the register that Marshall,Joe & Nancy are 3 days ahead of us at this point. Grady is hatching an X-men related trail name for me since my shoes have an "x" on the tread. He tried cyclops, but that didn't really stick. We continued on one more mile to camp, saw shotput again, and set up the DR on a slightly more protected ridge than last night. We wolfed down some Alfredo in anticipation of Paradise Valley Cafe tomorrow. 

Coolest critters of the day: I'll have to give this one to the snakes. I wish I could've confirmed the whip snake that Erin saw, and considering how low my overall count of snakes is, I'll take a gopher snake any day.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment