Friday, May 24, 2013

Day 26: Big Bear Lake (zero day)


















Ahh, zero days. They are truly enjoyable experiences. Though in our case they seem to be coming as often as once a week, they seem more valuable than weekends. After all, when we were working we were only doing so for 8-10 hours, maybe 12-13 maximum, and they generally weren't as brutal on the body as what we are paying to do to ourselves. We finished all of our chores yesterday (charging things, cleaning things, food shopping, etc.) so we were left with a full day of relaxation on our plates. We went to breakfast at the well-reputed greasy spoon called the Grizzly Manor which just so happened to be next door to the worst tattoo parlour on this planet (in my humble and correct opinion), Ta2xtream.
Ruh-really  brah?

 I cannot speak on the quality of their work, but I have a very difficult time believing that any self-respecting artist who had progressed beyond the level of drawing stars and "Monster" energy drink logos would rather shank somebody and get sent to prison to practice their craft than end up at a studio with a name that simply drips of genericism. Anyhow, I attempted to stuff myself on pancakes but became cross when I remembered that pancakes merely fill you up without providing much in the way of satisfaction and/or nutrition. I took them in a to-go box, more out of stubbornness than anything else, and Smiles packed up her excellent biscuits and gravy. After breakfast, there wasn't much to do, so I attempted some blogging and failed. Smiles needed some pants for the upcoming sections, which were rumored to be plagued with a nasty plant called poodledog bush, so we marched up to Big 5. I saw an awesome fan at a local pawn shop:
What a gem.

and our run at Big 5 was partially successful. Smiles got pants and Body Glide to help with blisters, but I struck out on refilling the blister kit. We used everything except for about 2 square inches of Second Skin by that point, and I was hopeful that a town the size of Big Bear/Big Bear Lake would have what I needed. No such luck. However, I was quasi-accosted by the Big 5 personnel. I was holding Smiles' Body Glide, which was fe-marketed for the fairer sex with a fancy pink top, and the dude working at Big 5 told me rather matter-of-factly that they have larger sizes, and that I needn't buy one with a pink top (like I cared). I casually explained my manliness by saying that I was just holding it for my girlfriend.

On the way back, we decided on El Pollo Loco for a mid-afternoon snack. It turned out to be my dinner, as my stomach turned in a knot from all the grease and I was forced to lay in bed at the hostel while watching Law & Order on my iPhone for the rest of the night. Sometimes being antisocial is the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment